Since making the decision to stay at home, I also started to think about options for making money at home. It’s not that I don’t enjoy working outside of the home- I did. I enjoyed working in retail. There’s a psychology involved in it that appealed to me.
But, the benefits of staying at home outweighed the costs of working outside of the home. At least for us. However, that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to contribute to the household income in some way. Granted yes, I am starting to make some money with this blog. And eventually, who knows, this may bring in a decent full time income. I also have other things in mind when it comes to working at home; which is why I wanted to focus on steps to starting a home business.
Now, while I haven’t written a proper business plan (yet), I am sketching out and tweaking my five year plan.
why being an ENTREPRENEUR was the right path for me
Becoming an entrepreneur is not for everyone.
There are many obstacles between you and your dreams, including coming up with the willpower to get started on your project, finding the confidence to get through multiple mishaps, and devoting many hours of hard work to building your vision.
Making money online is something that almost every computer user has considered trying at least one time or another. Unfortunately, most people get burned or find that their efforts fail, so they ultimately give up.
Being an entrepreneur is hard work and can be disheartening at times – but owning your business can be a very fulfilling and freeing experience.
5 Tips for Starting a Home Business:
- Find your calling.You could base your business on a talent you have, a hobby you love, or your desire to make a difference in people’s lives.
- There is a popular belief that it takes 10,000 hours of work before one can be considered an expert in any field. This belief may not be true, but it shows that expertise requires time and hard work.
- Register your business and apply for necessary licenses. Registering your home business is a very simple process.
- All you need to do is register your business name through the U.S. Small Business Administration and apply for a tax ID.
- You will also have to register your business through state agencies. Applying for licenses is necessary if your field is regulated – for instance, if you prepare food, work with dangerous chemicals, or provide services that require special qualifications such as legal advice or accounting.
- Create your business plan.Creating a business plan is a systematic process that provides a blueprint for your business and will help you obtain funding for your project. When you have a plan and write it down, you not only feel more organized but also it helps your mind to come up with great ideas. Before you know it, you’ll be coming up with all sorts of imaginative ways to develop your business, that you would never have thought of, if you hadn’t put your plan on paper.
- Start by explaining what the purpose of your business is and how you’ll achieve it.
- Explain what kind of products you want to sell or list the services you’ll be providing.
- Define your target audience in as many details as possible.
- Create an outline for your marketing strategy and include your expected prices as well as how much profit you expect to generate.
- Explore your financing options. Go over your budget and business plan carefully to assess how much money you require.
- Look for investors among your friends and relatives, or angel investors through local business associations. Borrowing money is usually your best option if you cannot find investors for your project.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration is a great place to get started with financing, but you could also contact your financial institution to learn more about the business loans they offer.
- Get to work! Becoming a successful home business owner requires time, hard work, and real dedication
- Besides spending some time on developing your products or services, promoting your business, and providing excellent customer service, it’s also important to work on acquiring more skills that will help you become a better business owner.
- Divide the large goals from your business plan into smaller goals you can accomplish on a weekly or daily basis. This division will also help you assess your progress.
- Keep in mind that your goals might have to shift if your market changes.
The best way to launch your business and achieve financial stability is to put together a detailed plan with a series of small, manageable steps that will lead you to your goals.
Use these five steps as a broad template for your project and add any additional steps that are relevant to your business.
Additional things that you may want to consider:
If you have the knowledge, promoting a business need not be tough.
Creating a website is a good option for home businesses. It is possible to set up a website in just a day. It is often possible to register domains for free, but most others are very cheap. When your profits increase, you’ll see the benefits firsthand.
Maintain a professional attitude as you begin your home business. Keep your personal life and your professional life separate.
Just because you are working from home, does not mean that you should engage in any family responsibilities during the time that you are supposed to be working. You will not be successful if you do not put the time into running your business efficiently.
It is important to remember when running a home business that many of your customers are normal people that work normal hours. Just because you have the freedom to work whenever doesn’t mean they do. Be sure to establish a schedule that fits not only your needs, but your customer’s needs.
Take the time to network and advertise.
Just because you are working at home doesn’t mean you don’t need business contacts. Schedule meetings outside of your home to get away, and meet others in your field. Using networking and marketing events is a great way to build up your network.
Seek out advice from a tax professional.
They can help you find ways in which you may be able to reduce the amount of taxable business income at the end of the year. Paying a professional for an hour or two of consultation will pay off in the long run if it saves you money.
Analyze the needs of your community to help create a successful home business. Many people would start a home business if they knew what business to start. The easiest way to figure this out is to do research to discover what services or products your community is missing. Filling this whole in your local market can have lucrative results.
Do not post your home address online or on your business cards. Open up a PO Box that you will use for all business related issues. There are a lot of crazy people in the world and you do not want to give them directions to your house.
Take regular breaks throughout your day, but don’t get distracted by the home environment. Don’t begin complicated home improvement projects or take long, personal calls.
Take active breaks to refresh your body and mind, for example a bit of exercise or work in your garden.
Unless you live alone, be considerate of the others in your household. Don’t let your work take over common spaces or invade someone else’s personal area. Don’t treat your roommates or family like employees. Make your needs known, but remember that this space is a home first and an office second.
Even though you are working at home, it is important that you establish a proper business schedule. By making a proper schedule and sticking to it you are showing others that you are serious about what you are doing. It also shows them that you can be reliable and dependable.
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- Free 12 Days of Christmas Matching Puzzles with ASL Numbers - December 9, 2019