On the weekends, I love recipes that can serve as both breakfast and brunch. Sometimes I get the chance to sleep in on the weekend so having a handy brunch recipe is always nice. But even on those weekend mornings where I can’t sleep in (which is more often than not) I still enjoy having a hearty and filling breakfast that will keep me going throughout the day. Because of this, I like to have recipes on hand that have eggs and at least once a month, I make this eggtastic weekend breakfast bake. Sometimes I’ll make it during the week as it does reheat well.
This particular breakfast bake is also loaded with sausage, spinach, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese. You could certainly leave out any of the ingredients and still have a delicious and filling meal.
The other part that I like about this breakfast bake? I get most of my major food groups in one serving and if you’re looking to lay back on the carbs; this is also a wonderful option. The ingredients are similar to my low-carb breakfast scramble so if you wanted to substitute the sausage for ham, you could try that as well. Or you could leave out the meat all together for a vegetarian option.
- Breakfast sausage links 6, cut into bite sized pieces. Or you can use 1 8oz package of ground breakfast sausage
- 1 80z package of Frozen chopped spinach (prepared according to package directions)
- 1 6oz package of sliced white mushrooms
- 1 medium green bell pepper (diced and sauteed)
- 1 medium white onion (diced and sauteed)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used yellow cheddar)
- 6 large eggs
- In a medium to large frying pan, saute the bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. While this is cooking, prepare the spinach according to package directions. Once heated, set aside to cool
- In a separate frying pan, prepare sausage and once heated, set aside to cool and cut into bite sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and prepare a casserole dish (either by spraying with cooking spray or lining with aluminum foil)
- In a large mixing bowl, crack and scramble eggs to your liking
- Once the vegetables have finished cooling, add to the egg mixture.
- Stir in the sausage and cheese
- Pour the mixture into a prepared casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and if needed, bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes uncovered
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- How to Winter-Proof your Home (And What Could Happen If You Don’t) - November 12, 2019