I love French toast though I don’t make it too often. It’s not that it’s too much of a process, just that I don’t always feel like standing in front of the stove and babysitting my breakfast. Recently though, I discovered a few recipes for baked French toast. My interest was peaked because it looked like the ideal way to make it. So, I decided to try it with chocolate milk and ended up with an easy baked chocolate French toast recipe.
Next time I do this, I’ll probably try a different bread but I just wanted to use what we had on hand. I may also adjust the amount of cinnamon that I used, but for the most part- this is definitely a keeper. And, for me personally, I may even try to make this into a layered casserole with some bacon in between the pieces of French toast.
- pieces Four to six of bread
- four medium to large eggs
- teaspoons two of vanilla
- teaspoon one of cinnamon
- cup one of chocolate milk, I used almond
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 13x9 casserole dish
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk
- In the casserole dish, layer your bread in one mostly even layer (it doesn't have to be perfect)
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over the bread and let sit for at least two minutes
- Pour off excess (optional) and bake for 20 minutes
- Serve immediately
The result reminded me of Mexican Hot Chocolate – which is one of my favorite things. The French toast itself came out how it usually would if I had made it in a pan. But, next time, I might just try for more of a layered casserole instead.
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- How to Winter-Proof your Home (And What Could Happen If You Don’t) - November 12, 2019