If there is one place we should feel comfortable, it is in our own home. However, for some people, they simply can’t seem to feel at ease. This could be because of poor air supply, uncomfortable conditions, or that your house doesn’t feel personal to you. By making a few simple changes, you can start to enjoy every minute you spend in your property. With that in mind, read on to discover some of the reasons you may not feel comfortable in your home and the steps you can take to change this.
- A lack of natural light – One of the main reasons why you may feel uncomfortable in your home is due to a lack of natural lighting. The placement of the windows may be the main reason why a limited amount of light enters your property. Needless to say, to do something about this would be disruptive and expensive. Luckily, there are some other ways to brighten up your home. This includes the careful placement of large mirrors and the use of reflective surfaces. This will ensure that the light that does enter your home bounces off these reflective surfaces and back into the room, making it look a lot bigger and more welcoming.
- Your home lacks personalization – Perhaps the reason you don’t feel comfortable in your own home is because it does not feel like YOUR home. When you buy a property, it is a blank canvas. There is nothing about it that is personal to you. You need to build upon this blank canvas to make the property unique to you. This involves including photographs and other types of decoration that are unique to you and evoke special memories. This will help you to settle into your home and feel at ease.
- A lack of ventilation – Another potential cause for an uncomfortable home is a lack of ventilation. In your property, there are a number of physical activities taking place, even when you are not home. You can’t always see these activities, yet your home is a breathing and living entity that has continual air movement, even when your cooling or heating system is not turned on. The degree to which your home is unsealed or sealed has an impact on the pressure, which deciphers the way air travels throughout the property. Proper ventilation is required to ensure that this pressure is controlled correctly. It could be that you have pressure imbalances in your home that need correcting. This is something that needs to be carried out by a technician that is certified and trained, boasting the correct instruments to measure and adjust the air in your house.
- Your home is cluttered – Is your home cluttered? If so, this is definitely a contributing factor to how you are feeling. Clutter can make you feel like you are trapped in your property, which can cause you to resent being in your home. So, it is time to tackle the clutter! Get three boxes – one for items to keep, one for items that would be nice to keep, and one for items to chuck. Keep sorting into these boxes until your house is decluttered. It’s amazing how incredible your home will feel afterwards. You should also look for the best robotic cleaner to keep everything pristine.
- High humidity – It is impossible to feel comfortable when the weather is hot and sticky. You lay down on the sofa, only to stick to it. You can’t get to sleep at night because it is too hot. Sound familiar? If so, you need to implement some form of cooling system. Fans can help to offer some form of relief, however, they are rather noisy, and rather than cooling you down, they merely circulate the hot air. The best thing to do is invest in an air conditioning system. If you already have one, yet it’s not cooling your property effectively, this is a sign that you need to call in a company that specializes in AC repairs. It’s likely that there is a problem that can, hopefully, be resolved very easily. If you don’t already, it’s advisable to get your air conditioning units serviced every year. This will ensure that they are running effectively and efficiently, saving you money and avoiding future problems.
- Uncomfortable furniture – Could it simply be that the furniture you have bought is uncomfortable? This could be the reason why you aren’t able to relax in your home. Often, we have a tendency to buy furniture based on how it looks, as opposed to how it feels. This is especially the case when we make purchases over the Internet. Your sofa may look amazing, but once you sit on it, it may give you a bad neck, or you may struggle to get comfortable. Make some changes that will add some coziness and plushness to your home, from luxurious throws to fluffy rugs to soft cushions.
- Poor air quality – Poor air quality is a huge contributor to discomfort in the home. While we cannot always smell bad air quality, we can definitely feel it. There are a number of ways that poor air quality can manifest itself. This includes gases emitting from your air conditioner or furnace, mold spores and bacteria, as well as excess humidity. The best thing to do is call the professionals and get them to assess the air quality of your home. They will conduct a report and then get back to your regarding their recommended changes. In most cases, they simply find minor nuisances. However, there are air problems that can be life-threatening, so if you suspect that something is wrong, you should definitely get in touch with professionals sooner rather than later.
- You can’t separate work and home – More and more people are working from home today. If this applies to you, it is highly likely that the reason you are unable to find comfort in your home is simply because it reminds you of work too much. There are numerous ways you can fix this problem if you are unable to switch off. Firstly, make sure you have a dedicated workspace. If you have a spare room, turn this into your office. If not, make sure your office is situated away from the main living and sleeping areas. In addition to this, it is important to give yourself a proper working day. This does not necessarily have to be from 9 am until 5 pm. Choose a time that is suitable for you. Nevertheless, make sure you stick to it. By having structure in place, you should be able to separate work from home life.
- Your bedroom is not optimized for sleep – Is the root of your problem stemming from your bedroom? If so, it is important to make sure it is optimized for sleep. There are numerous ways you can do this. Firstly, make sure you have a comfortable mattress, a cozy duvet, which is right for the season in question, and plump pillows. Once you have done this, make sure your room is painted a relaxing shade. If it is a bold red or a vibrant yellow, you are going to struggle to switch off at night. Instead, opt for a soothing shade of pale blue or a luscious lilac color. You should also limit the amount of technology in your room. Blue light can make it difficult for people to get to sleep, which is why it is wise not to use your phone or any other smart gadget before you go to bed.
- You feel vulnerable – We should never feel vulnerable or worried in our own home. However, it is a fact that crime very much exists today, and we all need to make an effort to protect our treasured family home. If you do not like being on your own or you worry that your home could be targeted by criminals, make an effort to secure your property. There are so many different security systems that are available today, and so you will definitely find one that is suited to your needs. You could opt for a smart door entry system, which enables you to see the person at your door before you grant them access. You could also invest in an alarm system and have it linked to CCTV. There are many different solutions.
- Your home has a lot of stress triggers – Does your home make you feel stressed and irritated? If so, you need to find what is triggering these feelings, and you need to deal with it. So, if you hate walking into your kitchen and seeing a sink full of dishes, invest in a dishwasher. You will be shocked by how much of a difference one change like this can make.
Hopefully, you have discovered where the root of the problem comes from and why you do not feel comfortable in your own home. Of course, it could be a combination of several reasons mentioned above. By making the changes mentioned above, you can be sure to fall in love with your home and enjoy spending time in there.