Recently, I had tried out a recipe for deviled eggs (one of my personal favorite appetizers) and instead of using mayo, the recipe called for avocado. Now, I’m a huge fan of anything with avocado in it so I thought- why not give this a try. The end result was a tasty treat so I had to reason that if it worked with deviled eggs, it should also work with egg salad. Same process, just different application.
I love egg salad sandwiches and yes, I’m one of those people who will eat egg salad on it’s own. I also love avocado and again, I’m just as happy to eat the avocado right from the skin with a spoon. So combining these two in a simple, yet delicious, recipe was right up my alley. I’ll try it again in the future with some variations, but overall, I’m happy with how it turned out.
Two Ingredient Avocado and Egg Salad
- 4 eggs boiled and peeled
- 1 whole avocado
- Salt pepper, and other seasonings to taste
- Boil 4 large eggs over medium to high heat for approximately 6 to 8 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Halve one avocado and remove the pit, scoop insides into a small mixing bowl
- Peel the eggs and add to the mixing bowl then mash with a fork or potato masher
- Season to taste and spread generously on your favorite bread.
Really this could not be more simple!
Come to think of it, this might be a great recipe to try out with Squeaker. I think that she could definitely help me make it next time.
The most difficult part, quite honestly, was waiting for the eggs to cool so I could peel them. After that, it was just a matter of mashing everything together with a fork and figuring out how I wanted to season my egg salad. The next time I make this, I may just try this on a sandwich with sliced cucumber and some spinach. Maybe with a piece of bacon for texture.
Like the traditional egg salad, you can easily double this recipe. I tend to go heavy on the eggs but I think a four to one ratio (eggs to avocado) is a decent measurement.
Do you have a favorite egg salad recipe? Have you tried using avocado instead of mayonnaise in your deviled eggs?
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- How to Handle Your Emotionally Charged Tween with Autism - August 21, 2019