Recently, I had tried out a recipe for deviled eggs (one of my personal favorite appetizers) and instead of using mayo, the recipe called for avocado. Now, I’m a huge fan of anything with avocado in it so I thought- why not give this a try. The end result was a tasty treat so I had to reason that if it worked with deviled eggs, it should also work with egg salad. Same process, just different application.
I love egg salad sandwiches and yes, I’m one of those people who will eat egg salad on it’s own. I also love avocado and again, I’m just as happy to eat the avocado right from the skin with a spoon. So combining these two in a simple, yet delicious, recipe was right up my alley. I’ll try it again in the future with some variations, but overall, I’m happy with how it turned out.
- 4 eggs, boiled and peeled
- 1 whole avocado
- Salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste
- Boil 4 large eggs over medium to high heat for approximately 6 to 8 minutes. When done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Halve one avocado and remove the pit, scoop insides into a small mixing bowl
- Peel the eggs and add to the mixing bowl then mash with a fork or potato masher
- Season to taste and spread generously on your favorite bread.
Really this could not be more simple!
Come to think of it, this might be a great recipe to try out with Squeaker. I think that she could definitely help me make it next time.
The most difficult part, quite honestly, was waiting for the eggs to cool so I could peel them. After that, it was just a matter of mashing everything together with a fork and figuring out how I wanted to season my egg salad. The next time I make this, I may just try this on a sandwich with sliced cucumber and some spinach. Maybe with a piece of bacon for texture.
Like the traditional egg salad, you can easily double this recipe. I tend to go heavy on the eggs but I think a four to one ratio (eggs to avocado) is a decent measurement.
Do you have a favorite egg salad recipe? Have you tried using avocado instead of mayonnaise in your deviled eggs?
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- Make Your Home More Minimal and Comfortable For Autistic Children - December 6, 2023