Do you like donuts? I’ll admit, it’s not one of my favorite foods but mostly because I tend to eat too many. I do have my favorites though (Boston Cream & Maple Glazed) and like to treat myself every so often. I wondered though how difficult it was to make donuts at home instead of going out to buy them.
After some googling, I found a tasty recipe for baked donuts and decided that I would use that for my base.
And with my love for all things pumpkin spice, I also wanted to see how I could add that flavor into the mix. I also looked for a simple glaze recipe to make these extra tasty.
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts with Maple Glaze
These donuts start from a box of cake mix- which also makes this a super easy dessert recipe. I opted to use spiced cake mix but I think this would also be pretty tasty with chocolate or vanilla.
And instead of using oil and eggs, I used canned pumpkin. That was partially for the pumpkin flavor but also because I wanted to see if the pumpkin would be too overwhelming.
This post contains affiliate links and while you are under no obligation to use them, by purchasing something through my affiliate link you are supporting this site, thanks!.
I used a mini donut pan since I don’t have a full sized one. But that’s okay! Mini donuts means that they’re bite sized. But you could most certainly use a full sized donut pan if that’s what you have on hand.
After having some time to cool, they got a double dip in the maple glaze.
Honestly, now that I know how easy it is to make donuts (and that I can cheat a little and use cake mix), this might become a weekly experiment. Or at the very least a holiday and seasonal experiment. In fact, my stomach looks forward to making peppermint chocolate donuts in the very near future!
Super Easy Baked Maple Glazed Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- For donuts
- 1 box of cake mix I used spiced cake mix but you can use any
- 1/2 cup of pure pumpkin not canned pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup of water
- For maple glaze:
- 1/2 stick of melted butter
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons of confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a donut pan
- Whisk together cake mix, canned pumpkin, and water until combined
- Pour batter into a large gallon sized plastic bag (this makes it easier to fill the pan) and snip off a small portion of one corner.
- Squeeze donut mixture into pan until cups are approximately 1/2 full
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze:
- In a small to medium sized bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, and maple syrup.
- When donuts are cool, dip and then dip again- turning side ways between dips to let extra glaze run off.
- Place back on cooling rack and repeat with remaining donuts.
Have you ever made donuts at home? How did they turn out?