If you’re looking for a way to start using up all that fresh and delicious squash, I’ve got a great recipe for you! Sure, we know that you can make zucchini bread and I do love sauteed zucchini and zucchini chips. But I wanted to look for something different. I came across a recipe for zucchini pancakes and decided that I needed to make it my own. I bought some lovely looking yellow squash at the farmer’s market so I wanted to use that instead of the green zucchini. Another way I made it my own was by adding some bacon, so we ended up with a tasty bacon and squash pancake for a tasty side dish.
We don’t fry food too much but when we do, we make the most of it. In fact, I think the last time I fried food was when we made our chicken Parmesan casserole. I have nothing against fried food and I do like fried food, I just don’t eat it very often because we’re trying to eat healthier.
That being said, even this recipe isn’t the most unhealthy thing for you. And if you want to leave out the bacon, do feel free to do so. It’s really not a necessary element I just wanted to add it in because I like bacon. A lot.
- 1 onion, sauteed and chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of summer squash, shredded
- 6 pieces of bacon, baked and chopped
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Begin by heating a large pan with vegetable oil- enough to fry your pancakes. I don't measure this so I'm not sure on exact measurements, sorry!
- In a medium to large sized mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. You may want to strain your squash with paper towels to decrease the moisture.
- Form the mixture into palm sized balls and then flatten to form a pancake
- Fry until golden brown
Additional time is for baking the bacon. Yes, you can pan fry your bacon and then use the bacon grease to cook your pancakes. It's up to you!
This such a delicious side dish, and confession- we actually had it as our main dish. We’ve decided that the next time we make potato pancakes, we’ll use a similar method to keep everything together. Kyle’s initial comment was that it looked more like fried chicken than a pancake.
And it was so good!
Squeaker also enjoyed these very much so we can add this to our box of toddler approved recipes as well.
Do you like cooking with squash? What are some of your favorite recipes?
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- When to File Your Tax Return and Determining Your Filing Status in 2020 - January 2, 2020