While I’m getting back on track with a regular workout routine, my diet could use some work. Now, you should know, I’m not a fan of restrictive diets. Instead, I look for other ways to eat healthier so I’m not on an “official diet“. But rather, making healthier choices. Recently, I’ve looked into clean eating and into low carb or Keto. I’ve found 5 ways a low carb lifestyle can help you lost weight. And that was of great interest to me. I’m not a huge weight loss journey. But ultimately, I want to live a healthier lifestyle and that includes what I eat.
Low carb diets are common in the weight loss spectrum. Many studies have shown them to result in more weight lost as compared to the standard low fat diet plan.
Going on a low carb diets has so many health benefits, including the fact that they are highly effective at eliminating visceral fat, such as that in the belly, a most dangerous type of body fat. There have been so many speculations, thoughts and ideas on why low carb diets are effective for weight loss, and I’ve been curious about that too.
A low carb diet is a system of eating where carbohydrates are drastically or significantly, cut from the diet, and in the strictest plans, like the Ketogenic diet, carb intake is limited to non-starchy vegetables and some dairy. When ones diet contains fewer carbohydrates, the body no longer gets its energy from the glucose they produce and instead begins to burn fat for energy.
Starch and sugar carbohydrates are substituted with healthy fats and a moderate protein intake. Sugar, pastries, pasta, bread, cereal, beans, or any other starches are no longer allowed, as you will indulge vegetables, fatty foods such as butter, fatty fish, oils and some dairy along with eggs, steak, chicken, seafood and other protein sources.
5 Ways a Low Carb Lifestyle Can Help You Lose Weight
1. Triggers Ketosis: Eating a low carb diet triggers a process known as ketosis, which is where the body begins to burn fat for energy instead of dietary carbs, which is a very efficient way to burn fat stores and lose weight.
2. Eliminates water weight: People who have gone on low carb diet typically lose quite a bit of weight in the first two weeks, likely, this occurs when water that is tied to glycogen comes off the body and is actually a quite encouraging event that supports the continuation of a healthy lifestyle.
3. Eliminates insulin trigger foods: Starch and sugar carbs are insulin triggers that cause blood sugar spikes that lead to weight gain. While on a low carb diet, these insulin triggers are eliminated so the body can burn fat instead of storing it.
4. They are high in protein: Protein helps keep you full and satisfied so you naturally eat less, it also helps to increase lean muscle mass that promotes fat burning. This is one of the factors that make low carb diets effective.
5. Regulates the appetite and naturally reduces calorie intake: A low carb diet naturally regulates the appetite because all those insulin triggers foods that wreak havoc in the blood stream to cause erratic hunger and out of control cravings are eliminated.
When people embark on a low carb diet, their appetite significantly drops naturally, and they naturally feel satisfied with less food, resulting in weight loss as they naturally eat less calories and without suffering and starvation.
Are Low Carb Diets Safe?
This is a frequently asked question, which is common among people wanting to embark on a low carb journey. The low carb experience is not for everyone, though it is followed by thousands of people around the world, without any problems.
It may have side effects for some, while others may experience nothing. Usually any side effects are short lived. In general, statics and research shows them to be highly effective for weight loss, and to also reduce risks for cardiovascular disease better than low fat eating plans.
Make sure you understand what a particular low carb diet has to offer before choosing it.
In conclusion, low carb diets aids weight loss by triggering ketosis, a metabolic state where the body uses stored fat as its source of energy.
Low carb diets also do a great job of regulating appetite and naturally allow those following them to eat less, while feeling satisfied and this is another one of the main reasons that the weight loss is so strong and visible.
Low carb diets are not fads, but lifestyles that have helped thousands of people reverse obesity and improve their health. It may just do the same for you.
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- Why I Stopped Trying to be a Supermom and How it Reduced My Stress - April 21, 2019