Are you looking to supplement your family’s income? Why not turn your hobby into a money maker. Yes, it still may take some time, but having that little bit of extra cash will make it all worth it, don’t you think?
Chances are likely that you have a hobby. Well, maybe not if you’re a busy parent. But once upon a time, maybe you did have a hobby. I’d love to say that I regularly make time for my hobbies, but that’s not always the case.
I do enjoy crafting, scrapbooking, and cross stitching. But, I don’t always have time for doing that stuff. I also like to read and sing.
I like to dabble in Photoshop and while it was aggravating at times, I did have fun going the DIY route for my blog. So maybe I could turn that hobby into a money maker. Maybe not a gushing money stream, more like a money creek. And well, I love to write. But I’ve turned that interest and passion into the foundation for my job.
Hobbies are important for people to have because they allow you to do something just for you, without worrying about life’s everyday struggles. If you’re having trouble finding the perfect hobby that will allow to relax and as a getaway from life, then read on.
How to Find a Hobby that Works for You
Look at Your Past
Can you think of anything that you enjoyed as a kid that you might enjoy now as an adult?
If you enjoyed coloring, for example, try out some of those adult coloring books. Or if there was a special something you enjoyed collecting when you were younger, start that hobby back up and see if you get the same enjoyment and relaxation out of it. There’s also the option to start back up a hobby that you abandoned. Maybe after taking a break from it, you’ll find that enjoyment you were missing.
Explore Different Options
If nothing seems to jump out at you from your past, try searching around some stores and see if anything pops out at you. For example, if you walk down a cooking aisle and a new cook book catches your eye, decide on whether or not cooking is a hobby you’d like to pick up.
If you’re adding something new into your life, make sure you have time to focus on this new thing.
Most times though, many people have a lot of extra time that they aren’t spending right. Before starting a new hobby, go through your schedule and decide what things you can cut from your daily routine. It’s common for people to spend about 30 minutes to an hour doing their hobby on a daily basis. Ensure that you have that time to devote to this hobby so that you don’t end up having to drop it because of lack of time.
Know Who You Are
This may sound silly, but to ensure you find a hobby that suits you best, you should think about what type of personality you have. For instance, if you don’t have patience, quilting may not be something you enjoy. However, an alternative to quilting is some quicker sewing projects, especially if you know you enjoy sewing but not taking a lot of time to do things.
When picking out a hobby, remember to think about the types of things you like. If you really enjoy looking at art, try out making your own works of art.
Different Types of Hobbies to Consider
Hobbies That Sharpen the Mind
Some hobbies are better than others to make you problem solve and to think. These are especially important as you age. Some hobbies that are best for keeping your brain sharp include:
* Puzzles, crossword puzzles, and brain teasers
* Card games like bridge and solitaire
* Learning how to draw and paint
* Learning how to play a musical instrument
* Playing chess
* Learning a new language
* Participating in trivia games
Hobbies for Kids and Families
Certain hobbies are perfect for you to do with your family. They allow you to bond better with your loved ones and get to know them better. Hobbies that are best in ensuring you have a strong relationship with your loved ones include:
* Making model planes and trains
* Building with Lego
* Magic tricks
* Kite flying
* Going to zoos
* Playing with remote control cars
* Swimming and playing in pools
Hobbies for Adventurous People
It’s important to get out and get some exercise.
Certain hobbies can help you to do that. Getting yourself outdoors can be very relaxing as you will see the beautiful scenery that surrounds you every day that you just don’t seem to have time to notice. For the adventurous, some of the key hobbies to help you get the needed exercise and relaxation include:
* Running, biking, or walking through parks, neighborhoods, or mountains
* Playing baseball, softball, or volleyball
* Traveling around the world
* Bird watching
Hobbies That Help You to Earn Money
Hobbies don’t just have to be something you do for enjoyment.
Besides providing you with needed relaxation, there are a large variety of hobbies that provide you with money if you know how to advertise it right. Some of the most popular hobbies that provide people with the opportunity to earn money include:
* Blogging and writing
* Craft making like cards, candles, and soaps
* Graphic design
Hobbies for Collectors
Collecting objects that you find fascinating or that mean a lot to you brings you a sense of peace and relaxation. Having a set of something that is solely your own and something you worked hard to get brings a sense of joy to a person. Some hobbies that give that to you include, but are not limited to, collecting:
* Vintage or unique toys
* Sports memorabilia
Hobbies for the Crafter
Craft hobbies are very popular and provide a variety of benefits. Crafts bring a sense of relaxation and calmness to a person. With some crafts, it has been shown to increase their confidence. Some crafts that help people to do that include:
* Needle point
Make your crafty hobby unique and original by using spare car parts that you find at a junkyard.
Hobbies for Stress Relief
Everyday life can be very stressful. Having a hobby to fall back on when things get hard and stressful is key to enjoying life. Some hobbies that provide stress relief include:
* Weight lifting
How to Turn Your Various Hobbies into Money
There are a variety of options for people who wish to make money while having fun doing what they love. Here is a list of five different hobbies that have been known to make people money on a daily basis.
1. Photography – Photography is a very popular hobby and a beautiful form of art.
If you notice that people gravitate towards the photos you take, it might be time for you to publicize your art. To do this, social media platforms may be the most successful and quickest way for you to make cash. Flickr and Shutterstock are the most popular websites used and provide you with the greatest chance of earning money.
Another more personal way of earning money is to work directly with clients. Personal photographers are expensive, so you may want to consider promoting your business with some discounts so more people are drawn to it.
2. Writing – Writing has all sorts of personalities, meaning that everyone can do it.
You can sell your writing freely or you can use social media platforms like Fiverr or People Per Hour where you offer your writings open for biddings. When using this type of hobby as a way to make money, you don’t have to stick to certain writing assignments. You are allowed to write freely and you even have the option of tutoring students how to write.
3. Blogging – Is there a specific subject that you are particularly passionate about?
There are a wide range of options that include fitness, families, and cooking. You can easily set up your new blog by using WordPress.org or any other WordPress hosting provider. This website provides you with a variety of different blog templates and gives you the opportunity to build your blog over time. Soon you will get a steady flow of visitors to your blog. Those visitors will lead to advertising opportunities that will give you the chance to make money.
4. Crafts – This is similar to photography as it allows you to be free with what you want to do and sell your products to people who enjoy art.
Making crafts has been a very popular hobby that helps to make money for a long time. To help sell your crafts, it’s a good idea to use Etsy because people can buy your products right from your personal page.
5. Baking – Participating in bake sales is a quick and easy way to sell your baked goods.
Besides that, though, you can look into selling at small shops, bakeries, and farmers’ markets. If these ways of selling don’t work out for you, you can consider starting an online baked goods website. People love baked goods, so this market is open and has a lot of potential in making you money.
There are a wide range of other hobbies that can offer you the opportunity to make money.
6. Bike customization: If you love transforming ordinary bikes into high quality custom works of art – you can use the Internet make money in style! You can have workshops and even tutorials which will educate others and improve the credibility of your brand as well – since it establishes you as an authority in this field.
7. Stamp collection: If you love collecting stamps, why not showcase them online? Many stamp collectors using Internet make money that amounts to millions in a year! Why not you? You could invite others to buy and sell on your site. This way you can transform a much loved hobby into an innovative Internet money making opportunity for yourself.
8. Shopping: Yes you heard this one right! If you’re addicted to shopping, you can help others by shopping for them! By providing personalized shopping for customers many personal shoppers using the Internet make money the innovative way! To do this you need to find out the person’s tastes, likes and dislikes, color preferences etc. This will help buy things for them that they like.
Think about your interests before starting your own business based on your hobbies. Before you start, ensure that you have enough time to devote your attention to your new business.
Hobbies provide people with so many benefits, and change us for the better. It’s important for humans to have something special we can do separately from our everyday, busy lives.
So what’s your favorite hobby and have you thought about turning it into a money maker?
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- Flying The Nest: Helping Your Kids Create Their First Home - July 15, 2020