Having trouble with your toddler eating enough vegetables? Try these tasty broccoli and bacon tots.
So far we haven’t had many issues with getting Squeaker to try new foods or making sure that she’s eating a balanced diet. Aside from the fact that she’s a toddler and bound to be picky now and then; I do want to make sure that her nutritional needs are being met.
She has yet to turn aside any of the food that we’ve made and she has shown a preference for green vegetables and carrots. Come to think of it, the only thing so far that she won’t eat are sweet potatoes. With her preference for green vegetables and wanting to test out a recipe for the picky pair (T&J), I modified a recipe for broccoli tots.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call them healthy because there’s bacon in them, but they are definitely delicious. This recipe also includes cheese which reminds me of one of my favorite ways to have broccoli; smothered in melted cheddar cheese.
(Toddler Approved) Broccoli and Bacon Tots
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen broccoli florets
- 6 pieces of bacon, baked and chopped
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of yellow or white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 and prepare a cookie sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil and use cooking spray)
- Cook the frozen broccoli florets according to package directions. Undercook by one minute or two.
- Chop the broccoli or use a potato masher to break it down so it's easier to work with
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bacon, broccoli, cheese, bread crumbs, and egg. Optionally season with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Once mixed together, form into small pieces about half of the length of your thumb.
- Place on cookie sheet in even rows and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to sign up for my newsletter - and get your copy of the Autism Family Guide for free.