We are back again for another fun and exciting week with the Virtual Book Club for Kids! This week was another book that was new to us but we still had a lot of fun with. In case you missed it last week, each week we pick a new book and share an activity to go along with that book. This activity could include a craft, sensory play, writing, cooking, science, etc. And with so many amazing co-hosts (and hosts), you have so many ideas to choose from! Be sure to join us in the Virtual Book Club for Kids Facebook Group to join the fun.
This post contains affiliate links and while you are under no obligation to use them, by purchasing something through my affiliate link you are supporting this site, thanks!
This week’s book is: Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
And after reading the book, we did the following:
- we made leaf shaped alphabet flashcards
- identified the leaves in the book with 3 part cards
- made our own leaf man with the leaf shaped cards
- sang “Falling, Falling, Falling Leaves” to the tune of the alphabet song
You’ll find a download link for the printables that we used later in this post!
To make the alphabet leaf cards, I printed out two leaf shapes and then traced them out construction paper. We used orange, yellow, and red.
After cutting those out, I wrote a different letter of the alphabet on each leaf. So in total, we had 13 of each of the two types.
While I wrote the letters out, Squeaker recited them with me. And depending on the age of your child, you could have them do most of the work here. We then spelled out Leaf Man with our new leaf letters.
And then we made our own leaf man to go with the one in the book
Later on, we’ll head to the park with our 3 part cards to see if we can find the types of leaves and other objects in the book. And then we sang “Falling, falling, falling Leaves” to the tune of the alphabet song.
Squeaker’s favorite part about this was the sneeze at the end.
Be sure to download the printables that we used: Leaf Man printables
This includes the following:
- Leaf templates (two)
- Falling, Falling, Falling Leaves song
- 3 part cards
And if you’re looking for more activities, crafts, and more to do with this book, be sure to check out the awesome links:
- Beginning Sounds Activity – Growing Book by Book
- Letter Recognition Game – JDaniel 4’s Moms
- Leaf Name Sticky Wall – Inspiration Laboratories
- Learn to Write Your Name with Letter Man – Chickadee Lit
- Write Your Name in Leaves – Adventures of Adam
- Counting Leaves – Create, Craft, Calm
- Fall Loose Parts Sensory Invitation – My Storytime Corner
- Preschool Leaf Science Experiment – Preschool Powol Packets
- Leaf Matching Activity – School Time Snippets
- Leaf Art: Prewriting Patterns for Fall – Rainy Day Mum
- Leaf Art: Making People/Scenes with Leaves – Mama Smiles
- Exploring Leaf Shapes – To Be a Kid Again
- Leaf Shapes Fingerprint Activity – Artsy Mama
- Fall Leaf Auditory Processing Activities – Sugar Aunts
- Giant Colorful Watercolor Fall Leaves – Toddler Approved
- Basic Math with Fall Leaves – Views From a Step Stool
- Leaf Tracing Pre-writing Activity – Books and Giggles
- Leaf Puppets – Messy Little Monster
- Follow the Leaves:Basic Map and Cardinal Direction Skills – Kara Carrero
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- Top Tips to Prepare Your Autistic Toddler for Preschool - April 23, 2017