It’s one of the tasks that everyone hates to do (but also loves!) – it’s moving house! We love to do it because moving to a new home often means something exciting in life. However, moving can be such a slog that we often struggle with the organization that comes with the move in the first place. There are several ways that you can make moving to a new house as easy as possible, and it doesn’t take much!
Some people love just to pack up and go, but it’s not an option for everyone. What if you’re downsizing? Self-storage is going to be the best option for you because you can store your stuff until you figure out what to do with it. Whether you are hoping to emigrate across the world or hop to the next street over, you need to consider how you can make this next step in your life as simple as possible. Below, we’ve got five suggestions for getting it right!
- Start Early. Moving house involves a lot of components. You have to time everything to perfection, from the key pick up to the movers arriving at your existing home. If you don’t have to leave in a hurry, you have time to pack and get organized. If you are moving quickly, there’s less time to get ready, and that’s where the stress sits in. It’s much easier to have time to research removals companies, buy packing boxes and supplies, and generally take your time to accomplish all your tasks for the move.
- The Right Van. You may not be moving very far, but you’ll need to make sure that you get the right van if you’re hiring one. Small vans can often make the trip, and you can get everything into the space. If you go too small, though, you’ll never fit the sofa in! So, be smart about your hiring choice. It’s so much easier to move when there are no van complications to worry about!
- Donate Things You No Longer Want. It’s tempting to take everything to the dump and get rid of it all, but there are so many people in need right now. When you’re busy decluttering (and wondering how your home became messy), consider how much you could donate to all the things you don’t use. Let’s be honest: if it’s been in storage and you haven’t used it in six months, do you really need it? There are plenty of companies that can help, and Facebook Marketplace is perfect for donations.
- Pack Early. You can start organizing early, but you also must pack early! As you declutter room by room, pack the things that you find and know you will keep. Bring on the right bubble wrap, labels, and colored markers so that you can get the boxes ready and waiting to be collected.
- Speak To The Professionals. You could hire a van and move yourself to your new house, but if you can afford the movers, you should do it. You can often underestimate just how much stuff you have, and it’s easier to get people in who are well-versed with heavy lifting and efficient moving. They can pack for you, disassemble your staff AND put it all back together again – nifty!
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- A Guide to Shifting Your Office to an At-Home Office - July 22, 2021