One of the most exciting times is when you find out that you’re pregnant. With some exceptions, of course. But for the most part, knowing that you have a baby on the way; is life changing in so many good ways. One of my favorite things about pregnancy, was planning a nursery theme. I soon realized how much it was going to cost and while I may have mildly freaked out a bit; I also calmed down quickly. For the budget conscious parents-to-be, here are 5 frugal ways to decorate your baby’s nursery.
There are a lot of things to think about when there’s a baby on the way. You’ve got to come up with the perfect name for your little bundle of joy. You have to line up childcare when it’s time to go back to work, or make plans to stay home with the baby.
There are clothes, diapers and supplies to buy. And there’s a nursery to decorate.
5 Frugal Ways to Decorate Your Baby’s Nursery
Decorating the nursery is a favorite part of new baby preparations for many parents. Until it’s done, you just don’t feel like you’re ready to welcome your child into the world. So many moms- and dads-to-be go all out, buying expensive designer cribs, bedding and décor.
But if you’re on a tight budget, that’s money that could be better spent on more practical things.
That doesn’t mean that you can’t decorate your baby’s room in style, though. It just means you’ll need to go about it a little differently. Here are some tips.
* If there’s a certain motif you want to use in the nursery, create a baby registry and make sure that your shower organizer lets invitees know where you’re registered. That way guests will be likely to purchase the items you’ve selected in that motif.
But keep in mind that if you choose a lot of expensive items, you might not get them, because your guests may be on a budget too.
* Don’t get your heart set on doing everything in a certain motif. If you don’t get all of the things you want at your shower, you might have to go with something else. If you get some of the items you wanted, however, perhaps you can buy the rest in a color that co-ordinates with them.
* Make some of the items for the nursery yourself. You could buy some fabric featuring the characters you want to feature in the nursery and make all sorts of things out of it. Curtains and blankets are easy if you have a sewing machine.
You could also make decoupage wall hangings by cutting the characters out of the fabric and using Mod Podge to adhere them to a piece of wood, then top with another coat of it. And framed pages from children’s books or calendars also make lovely wall art.
* Visit consignment shops, flea markets and yard sales. You can often find great deals on gently used nursery items at these places.
* Go to outlet stores, or shop from the outlet section of your favorite online baby store. There are spectacular deals on new items to be found here. Some might have minor flaws, but in many cases they’ve simply been discontinued by the manufacturer.
Decorating your nursery on the cheap doesn’t mean it won’t be beautiful. With a little creativity, you can make it look just as wonderful as it would if you had spared no expense. And best of all, you’ll have more money to spend on diapers, formula, and those adorable baby clothes!
Latest posts by Kori (see all)
- How to Winter-Proof your Home (And What Could Happen If You Don’t) - November 12, 2019