I’ve posted my Top 10 Books for Parents and I’m working on a post specifically for parents of girls on the spectrum. But today I wanted to share a list of books about autism for kids. If you have children who are not on the spectrum, they may not understand right away. Or maybe you want to help the children at your local church or in your community understand. Whether you are looking for books for your friends or family members, I hope that this list of books about autism for kids will be of use to you.
This post makes use of affiliate links, by making a purchase you are helping me help my family
Eventually I’m going to have to get a few of these for Squeaker and I’ve also thought of getting one or two for T & J. But, since Sweet B is with her dad on the weekends (when T & J are with us) I’m not sure if it would really make a difference anymore.
- A Friend Like Simon – Autism / ASD
- The Autism Acceptance Book: Being a Friend to Someone With Autism
- My Brother Charlie
- What It Is to Be Me!: An Asperger Kid Book
- Ellie Bean the Drama Queen: A Children’s Book about Sensory Processing Disorder
- Everybody Is Different: A Book for Young People Who Have Brothers or Sisters With Autism
- How to Talk to an Autistic Kid
- A Is for Autism F Is for Friend: A Kid’s Book for Making Friends with a Child Who Has Autism
- Armond Goes to a Party: A book about Asperger’s and friendship
- Russell’s World: A Story for Kids about Autism
- All About My Brother Who Has Autism
- My Little Social Story About Understanding Autism: Learning About Acceptance
- Different Like Me: My Book of Autism Heroes
- My Brother is Autistic (Let’s Talk About It Books)
- Autism Through a Sister’s Eyes: A Book for Children about High-Functioning Autism and Related Disorders
- Waiting For Benjamin: A Story about Autism
- David’s World: A Picture Book about Living with Autism
- Tomas Loves…: A Rhyming Book About Fun, Friendship – and Autism
- Apples for Cheyenne: A Story about Autism, Horses and Friendship
- Sometimes My Brother: Helping Kids Understand Autism Through a Sibling’s Eyes
- Autism and Me: Sibling Stories
- My Brother is Different: A parents’ guide to help children cope with an Autistic sibling
- The Other Kid: A Draw It Out Guidebook For Kids Dealing With A Special Needs Sibling
- Views from Our Shoes: Growing Up with a Brother or Sister with Special Needs
- Some Kids Have Autism (Understanding Differences)
- My Friend Has Autism (Friends with Disabilities)
- My Friend with Autism: Enhanced Edition with FREE CD of Coloring Pages!
- I See Things Differently: A First Look at Autism
- Autism Is…? (Autism Is…? Books) (Volume 1)
- In My Mind: The World through the Eyes of Autism
- Ethan’s Story; My Life With Autism
- Since We’re Friends: An Autism Picture Book
- Leah’s Voice
- Andy and His Yellow Frisbee (Woodbine House Special-Needs Collection)
- Taking Autism to School
While the majority of these are autism specific, there are a few that are for general special needs. Either way I hope that you find this list of use. I’ve found that books are a great way to introduce a new concept to children, so why not use that with books?
Wanting to help kids understand more about ADHD? Check out these ADHD books for kids to teens.